type='text/javascript'/>
“Nature always wears the colors of the spirit” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Maternal Instinct?

You've heard of a mother dog taking care of a stray kitten, or a cow taking care of a fawn. Now you will be able to say you've heard of a White Pine mothering a Mountain Ash.

This is a photo of the largest White Pine in my yard. This tree towers over my house. My house is about 30 ft. tall (I'm guessing). It is the home of a few different species of birds and a couple of squirrels.

The tree looks like it is two times the size of my house. It's huge! Last year I noticed that a Mountain Ash tree (follow the arrow) started growing where the trunk of the White Pine splits into two. I never would have guessed that the little guy would still be there this year--and not only that, but so healthy!

Where the little tree is growing, I cannot reach without a ladder. I think it is about 7 - 8 feet off the ground (at least).

Two of my neighbors have beautiful Mountain Ash trees that get berries every year. Birds love these berries and apparently love to eat them while they are sitting in my White Pine. I figure a berry got away from one of the birds and landed in that split area and started to grow. This tiny, little tree is so beautiful and so amazing.

The large White Pine seems almost like it is mothering the little tree, protecting it from the harshest of storms, keeping it cozy and warm in the winter, and sheltered from the sun and heat in the summer.

I'm not sure how long that little tree is going to be able to grow there. It's little roots must be bonding within that huge pine by now, so I think if I were to remove it from the pine it might kill the little tree. I'm just going to keep my eye on it, and if it starts to look as though it may die, I'll try to transplant it. For now, it will grow and continue to be nurtured by my beautiful White Pine.

(It was very windy the day I took this photo, which made it difficult to get a still shot)

Hope you all have a wonderful day!




2 comments:

AliciaMae July 17, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

Oh that is cool. I've seen trees grow on boulders, they just need a little bit of coverage to hold their new roots and then they'll reach down to the ground. That ash might just grow roots down the pine! You'll have a morphing tree :)

LadyK July 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

Hi AliciaMae!
I bet you're right, and the roots will probably push down behind the bark rather than try to go through the wood itself.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen over the years. :)

Tag Cloud

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP