type='text/javascript'/>
“Nature always wears the colors of the spirit” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Dachshunds in Leather-Or-How I Recycled a Leather Jacket

Sam's lined, leather jacket is finished and Buddy's is halfway done.

These are taking me longer than I anticipated because I am not using my sewing machine at all. I am doing them both by hand, with a needle and thread.

After I cut the sleeves off of the jacket, I had to open one up for Sam by cutting it lengthwise from the cuff to the shoulder. He is a little bit heavier than Buddy and doesn't quite fit in the sleeve without alterations being done first.

After cutting the sleeve open I needed to cut a yoke for his chest. I cut one from the underarm part of the jacket. I then attached it to the cuff (now collar) and attached the sides of it to the sides of the sleeve.









Then I left two open areas for his arms and from beneath his armpits I sewed the remainder of the length to the sleeve.
I left the sleeve's original lining in place to keep him extra warm.

This jacket is a slip-on. It goes on head first, then one leg at a time. So that's it! Sam's jacket is done and Buddy's is about halfway done.

I am also sewing some boots for each dog too. All that's needed to complete those is some velcro and elastic. I should be able to pick some up today and get them finished tonight. I will post how I did those in another entry. :)

8 comments:

jafabrit January 6, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

How clever, and they look very dashing too. :)

Nightshade January 7, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

That is a fantastic idea and very very cute.

Would you mind adding my blog to your Etsian's blogs links?

http://craftyequine.blogspot.com

How's Northern Michigan?

-Caly

LadyK January 8, 2009 at 12:24 AM  

Thank you JafaBrit. I'm just now getting caught up online (at least with my blog). It was a very, very long day.

I just finished their boots tonight!
I'm going to take a few pics before I go to bed and plan to post about them tomorrow. :)

LadyK January 8, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

Hi Caly!
Thank you.

I'd be happy to add your blog in that column for you.

It is cold, grey, and snowy here, as usual. Can't wait to get south! How are you liking it there? It's been almost a year since you moved hasn't it? We should've hitched a ride with you, lol.

MaryAnn January 9, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

This is such a great idea. Such cute models too!

LadyK January 9, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

Thank you MaryAnn! They love their new winter gear. :)

Tag Cloud

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP