type='text/javascript'/>
“Nature always wears the colors of the spirit” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, August 31, 2008

What is That Made Out Of?

Gourd cuffs and bracelets are some things I work on now and then. When I cut a bottle gourd to use as a bowl, many times I will use the top bulb to make a new cuff or bracelet. These three here, are some I made in 2007.



I have one on the workbench now that is not quite ready to be finished yet. :) What I really like about these is that no two will be alike. Gourds are, after all, grown on a vine and mother nature likes to make each one different.

After I cut the cuff from the bulb, it gets sanded on the inside and on the edges until they are smooth. That can take quite a long time and use up a lot of elbow grease. After that, any number of things can happen to turn that piece of a gourd into a piece of wearable art as you can see from the three pictures above.

Speaking of sanding...I have a few projects today that need to be sanded, so I best get to it.

Have a great day and for those of you in the USA; have a happy Labor Day weekend!

12 comments:

Anonymous,  August 31, 2008 at 2:32 PM  

These are extraordinary. You should create an online store and sell them.

PS, I can help build the store..
:)

Bramblemoon Farm September 1, 2008 at 12:13 PM  

Wow, these are beautiful. Plus it's neat that you use a portion of the gourd not used on your bowls. That's creative and thrifty:)

Dr.John September 1, 2008 at 6:58 PM  

It has been some time since I visited but I see your still producing great things. You have such tallent.
I left a note on the award blog below.

Waterrose September 2, 2008 at 1:46 PM  

What a cool idea and all of your gourds are beautiful (I checked out your etsy shop). Good luck on getting to warm, sunny weather. What sunny place are you headed to? Thanks for commenting and visiting me.

Anonymous,  September 2, 2008 at 8:04 PM  

The cuff and bracelets are beautiful in there own right. The material you make them out of makes them truly unique.

LadyK September 2, 2008 at 9:43 PM  

Thanks everyone :D

Danny, right now I sell them on Etsy ( http://twistedthicket.etsy.com ). I do have a website too, which is linked to this blog but, right now I just use it as a portfolio. If I ever decide to break off on my own, I will get ahold of you. :) Thank you very much for the offer. :)

LadyK September 2, 2008 at 9:45 PM  

Thank you Brenda and Dr. John, I'm glad you both stopped by.

LadyK September 2, 2008 at 9:47 PM  

WaterRose and Carol, Thank you both. :)

WaterRose, I'll be moving to Southeast Arizona, not too far from the border of Mexico (Gourd Country!)

Anonymous,  September 3, 2008 at 5:04 AM  

It's amazing to me that these beautiful items are the cuffs of a gourd. Very creative of you to use the entire gourd.

PurrPrints September 3, 2008 at 11:26 PM  

Those are awesome! I want to learn how ot make those to paint my cats on--or if you sold blanks at a reasonable price I'd buy them as supplies--very cool :)

Designing Hilary September 4, 2008 at 8:06 AM  

Care to receive another "award"?

"I Love Your Blog"!! And I nominated you ... see my post today.

LadyK September 5, 2008 at 1:43 AM  

Thank you all. :)

Purrprints, I'll have to give that some thought.

Designing Hilary, Thank you so much! I'll be stopping by tomorrow. Right now, it is very late and I need to hit the hay. :D

Have a great night everyone!

Tag Cloud

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP