type='text/javascript'/>
“Nature always wears the colors of the spirit” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Household Items that Can Kill Your Dog

Household Items that Can Kill Your Dog
by Carol Stack Copyright 2006

According to the web site of The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), the number of pets ingesting household and backyard poisons is increasing. In some cases, such as with polyurethane glue, the increase is dramatic. Since 2002 the number of dogs ingesting this glue has risen 740%.

For some reason dogs and cats are ingesting more poisons than in the past. Perhaps there are more products around that are made with poisonous ingredients, or perhaps with our busy lives we forget to put things away in a safe place. Whatever the reason, there is a significant increase in the number of pets dying each year from poisonous substances.

People love their pets and don't want to see them suffer. There are precautions everyone can take to protect their dog, cat, bird, ferret or whatever from ingesting poisons found inside the home, in the garage, and in the yard.

With the coming of cold weather the number of dogs and cats dying from ingesting antifreeze and ice melts increases. Antifreeze is very toxic and even small amounts can cause kidney damage that is life-threatening.

Most cases of antifreeze poisoning occur right at the animal's own home because the proper storage containers were not used or the antifreeze was not disposed of properly. Keep these things in mind when working with antifreeze:

  • Clean up spills immediately
  • Check for leaks under your car regularly
  • Store anti-freeze in clearly marked containers that are sealed and out of reach of your pets
  • Never allow your pet into the area where you are draining radiator fluid from your vehicle
  • Consider using products containing propylene glycol, which is a less toxic form of anti-freeze instead of those containing ethylene glycol


If you think your pet has ingested antifreeze contact your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 immediately.

Ice melts (used in areas where it snows to melt ice) are another cold weather problem for pets. Walking on ice melts that contain ingredients such as calcium chloride and sodium chloride (table salt) can cause skin irritation. If your pet licks their paws and ingests the ice melt they can experience many side affects including drooling, vomiting, decreased muscle function, and in severe cases, seizures, coma and even death.

Again, if you think your pet has come in contact with an ice melt product it is important you contact your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center right away. There are different treatments for different types of ice melts so it will help if you know the type your pet was exposed to.

To help protect your pet memorize the list of poisonous items found on the ASPCA web site at: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_poisonsafe. Keep these things out of reach of your pet. Included in this list are things as common as:

  • Coffee
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Salt
  • Yeast dough
  • Avacado
  • Alcoholic Beverages
  • Chocolate
  • Raisins and Grapes
  • Citronella Candles
  • Vitamins
  • Diet Pills
  • Pain Killers
  • Cold Medicines
  • Moth Balls
  • Fabric Softener Sheets
  • Liquid Potpourri
  • Rat and Mouse Bait
  • Products sweetened with xylitol (includes some sugar-free gum and candy)
The list is long, but it could save the life of your dog or cat if you memorize it and then keep these things out of your pet's reach.

Carol Stack has been working with dogs for over three decades. She lives with her husband, 3 kids, 4 dogs, 8 cats and 1 bird (Bob) in California. She and her daughter Christy have created a site especially for dog lovers at: http://www.christysdogportal.com
Article Source: http://www.articlesnatch.com

2 comments:

Pet Poison Helpline April 10, 2009 at 12:55 AM  

Thanks for spreading the word on pet toxicities on your blog - so important for pet owners to be aware of the lurking household poisons in (and outside of) their house! As an ER specialist, I see so many toxicities that owners bring in too late (making it more expensive to treat, with a worse prognosis!). When in doubt, it's so important to call a Poison Control for peace of mind!

I wanted to make you aware of another important resource out there also - Pet Poison Helpline is an additional Animal Poison Control Center, and it's one of the most cost-effective animal poison ($35/case vs. ASPCA's new $60/case) controls out there nowadays. Unfortunately, because animal poison controls are not federal- or state-funded, there is a fee to allow the service to be run 24-7. We provide a similar service, but have the added benefit of veterinary specialists (in internal medicine and emergency and critical care) as part of our staff. You can always call 1-800-213-6680 if you ever have a problem. Thanks for spreading the word!

Dr. Justine Lee, DVM, DACVECC
Associate Director of Veterinary Services
www.petpoisonhelpline.com
www.drjustinelee.com

LadyK April 10, 2009 at 1:36 AM  

Thank you so much for the great information in your reply. I noticed this spring my two Mini Dachshunds have been very curious outside. They are both only about 1.5 years old and this is their first spring where they are really checking things out. They're so fast too, I think they swallow things before they realize they had something in their mouths.
I'm so glad that you posted this information and phone number. I'm putting it with my other emergency numbers on the refridgerator.

Thanks again!
Have a great weekend,
Kim

Tag Cloud

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP