type='text/javascript'/>
“Nature always wears the colors of the spirit” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Weddings & Gourds


Oil Lamp thumbnail, originally uploaded by avision4.

This is an oil lamp I made with a tobacco box gourd a few years ago.

It is completely pyroengraved, the flowers by stippling with my burner. The color is all colored pencil, except for the leaves where I used transparent acrylic greens.

I've been thinking of doing more of these oil lamps, but first I need to get some more tobacco box gourds. The gourds I have now are not right for the oil lamp inserts. Either the gourds, that I currently have, are too big or too small.

This particular oil lamp was created for a young couple for their wedding day. :D
_________________________

Gourd art lasts for generations! There have been complete gourd containers that have been found recently (that had been carved out and decorated) that are thousands of years old!

They are nature's containers, and have been used for centuries as containers for; flour, rice, water, and more!

Boasting long life and happiness a piece of gourd art, functional or decorative, is the perfect family heirloom.

I also do custom orders, what would you like to see on a gourd? Would you like something for the wall or the table? Something purely decorative or functional? Do you have an idea for a gourd that you would like to see come to life? Challenge me, drop me a line and we'll work together to see your gourd come to life.
______________________

On the home front, weather is warm (35 degrees), overcast, and a prediction of rain. The roads are going to be quite messy and possibly dangerous later tonight as the temperatures drop again.

Sam and Fuzz are playing together now a lot more. Sam continues to learn new things on a daily basis. Very smart puppy!

_____________
I'm off to start my day now. Hope you all have a wonderful, relaxing Sunday!

3 comments:

Hey Harriet January 6, 2008 at 8:44 AM  

Oh great gourdy goodness! Beautiful work. Sam & Fuzz are just too cute :)

Unknown January 18, 2008 at 10:05 PM  

Hi, Kim!

I've been away from the blog beat for awhile, but I'm back!

I like the new, lighter look of your blog, very much.

Your new pup is adorable, but in that one photo, your cat is giving him that, "Hello, lunch!" look. Yikes!

Sounds like you're off to an enthusiastic start for this new year. Here's hoping we can both keep it going!

Anonymous,  February 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM  

That oil lamp is beautiful!

Tag Cloud

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP